Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm dating myself, but do I kiss and tell?


Being a big TV watcher (yes – I admit it) I always find myself a little bit a loose ends at this time of year. All my regular shows are finished for the season. *

(* side note: You’d think that after a three or four month break during the strike they’d make up for it, but ….. Nooooooo!)

But last night as hubby and I were channel surfing we came across a classic film that everyone should watch at least once in their life - ”Bonnie and Clyde” (1967, Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty). Watching it I could hardly tell this was a 40 year old movie. This 2 Oscar movie had amazing acting and cast. So many familiar faces that then would have been somewhat unknown, but today are considered experienced thespians – starters being Faye and Warren, but also Gene Hackman, Michael J. Pollard, Estelle Parsons, Gene Wilder, to name a few.

For such a tragic story they wrote quite a lot of humour into the script. Not to say this was a comedy by any means, but definitely had some light hearted verging on black comedy-esque moments. For those that like gunfire – it had its fair share, but don’t go looking for any spectacular computer generated special effects. I doubt the word “computer” was hardly spoken, except in whispered hushed tones of the future.

The one thing that really struck me after the film was finished was that although this movie was 40 years old ( which feels like a long life in moviedom ) it was made a mere 34 years after its depicted events. Thirty-four years doesn’t feel like all that long ago – in my warped way of thinking. Yet – the dirty 30’s feels like ancient history. So far out of our understanding of the times.

Does anyone else understand what I’m marveling at? Probably not, but that’s ok.

At the fear of dating myself – do you know who Bonnie and Clyde were?

What do the madding crowds have to say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a) I do understand what you're marveling at! And am marveling at same.

b) I do know who Bonnie and Clyde were.

c) I've been on a bit of a Faye Dunaway kick lately, albeit not intentionally. I just watched "Chinatown" again.