Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rocky Mountain Times Part I

We took this same trip just a year and three weeks ago, but for vastly different reasons.

The last time was to lay to rest my mother who had passed away on August 31, 2006. We travelled with a sad, empty feeling. This time, however, was for an exciting, happy occasion that I wouldn't have missed for the world - my oldest nieces wedding.

What a juxtaposition. What a contrast. Same highway, same scenery, same mountains and pretty much the same people.

I digress. I think you pick up what I'm putting down.

Living on an island can have its good points and its bad points ..... we'll actually very few bad points. But one that always seems a challenge is getting off the island. We are dependent on the ferry system. So you have to travel at the mercy of a ferry schedule for you hour and an half sail to the mainland. We left Victoria on the Thursday with the best of intentions of catching the very first ferry off the island in the morning - 7am. We forgot to keep in mind that we were heading into Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend. We arrived bright and early - 6:30am - to find that the 7am sailing was already full. And the next sailing was at 9am, and 50% full.

The best laid plans ....

So, we settled in to a fresh cup of coffee and our local newspaper, and waited .....

They give the announce that the 7am sailing is now loading .... and the departing .... we wait some more. The low and behold they announce that due to an increased influx of travellers they will be adding an additional sailing at 8am!!! Nice! This meant that we would only be one hour behind our days schedule, and not two.

The trip itself was rather uneventful. The weather cooperated, and after many stops for more coffee we arrived in Jasper at 10pm. We were exhausted so we opted to check in with the B&B and not the family (until morning).

Jasper is lovely in the fall. The poplar trees turn a brilliant yellow, which proves a beautiful contrast between the green of the coniferous, and the grey/brown colour of rock. If you're fortunate enough to make it out to one of the surrounding lakes you had the addition of the brilliant glacier blue of the lakes to add into the mix. Stunning. It almost makes me want to move back there again. But not quite.

Friday was mostly meet and greet with family and old friends, and new family as we also met up with the grooms connections. I always enjoy being with my family, and their friends, much the the intimidation of my hubby. He enjoys them, but I think he finds them all very overwhelming. We live a comparatively quiet life, and one that does not include much socializing at the bar. (The "Jasper Brewing Company" pub was "the" meeting place. Very nice beer, I highly recommend it if you find yourself in the neighbourhood).

Once again, I digress.

The wedding itself was planned to be outdoors out at the Airstrip. A beautiful setting. Unfortunately - I completely forgot my camera - can you believe it!!! So you'll have to take my word regarding the beauty that surrounded us. There was a Plan B if it chanced to rain - all you hockey fans would have got a kick out of this ..... Plan B was center ice at the Recreation Centre. I almost wished .... it might have been warmer.

I'll stop here for now. I have to share with you the antics of a certain Aunt (who was not me)! but for now you'll have to wait.

Show all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I missed you while you were gone. I can't wait to read about a certain Aunt (who wasn't you.)

Pilot Mom said...

What a difference a year makes, right? Looking ahead one thinks they will never get through it, yet, looking back you see the Lord woven through out it. :)