Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Am I missing something here?

Let me state off the bat that I truly enjoy meat. I am not a vegetarian or vegan in any way shape of form. I love meat!

That said, I constantly struggle with getting enough vegetables into me, and don't even get me started on trying to get vegetables into my husband! Its a common joke amongst our friends to try to trick him into eating anything vegetable-like.

However last week, while I was away visiting a friend, we made spaghetti for dinner one night. Although she is also a lover of meat, she used a vegetable substitute that looks like and cooks up just like hamburger. In fact, the packaging stated "vegetable Ground Round", "cooks up just like meat". (and in another fact - it was delicious).

But it got me to thinking .... why do 'they' have to disguise vegetables to look like meat products? Veggie dogs, Veggie bacon, Veggie Sausage for a few more examples. Who are 'they' trying to fool?

To my recollection I have never seen a meat product disguised as a vegetable .... I can't even picture a meat product masquerading as a vegetable. I googled it! I know!

Do vegetarians have to fool themselves into eating vegetables? Is it a mind-over-matter thing?

Can anyone shed some light on this world shattering topic?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a vegetarian, I truly enjoy eating veggie burgers and veggie ht dogs. But I don't know why!

LJ said...

Don't get me wrong - I love that stuff too, but I think it's funny that they have to make it sound and look like meat.

Carolyn said...

I'm one of those who eat veggie meat substitutes. I'm not a vegetarian. Some meat, especially any kind of beef, just don't seem to digest well. I keep Garden Burgers in the freezer so when Bill and the girls want to have burgers for dinner I can join in. Burger King (here) has begun offering veggie burgers, so my family can eat there again.