Thursday, December 3, 2009

Re-aquaintences and New Found Fun

I got away for the weekend and visited a friend and her family on one of the wee islands surround my larger one. Life being what it is, I hadn't been to see them in 7 years. So needless to say - I saw an opportunity and grabbed it.

Like all our islands it requires a short ferry ride to it. But I often find this the most relaxing portion of any trip. In this particular ferry's case - there is really no where to go except staying in your car. So I did, and read by the light of my dashboard. Twenty minutes later, I was back on terra firma and 5 minute drive in seemingly country side I arrived at my friends acreage. I love their place. Nestled onto a hill, looking out over their sheep pasture towards the ocean (a view of the mainland mountains in the daylight).

It has a generally calming affect on me.

We had a lovely weekend. I teased and joked with her two boys (7 & 10 yrs) mercilessly, and they teased back. Laurie and I went to a craft show and did some crafting of our own on Saturday night. Sunday I even went to their little church with them. What a contrast between my church body of 700+ to their 30+, but homey and welcoming all the same.

Laurie's husband taught me a new craft. Yes, I know what you're thinking - LJ doesn't need another new craft. But I couldn't help myself, especially when I saw what wonderful creations he had made. I don't have any pictures of his work, but I do have a picture of my first attempts at "needle felting".



I have since sewn on larger eyes, a smile, and some beads for buttons down his middle, but I kinda like the dressed down look of this one better. Needle felting is taking wool roving (this is raw or cleaned carted wool that has not been spun into yarn - rough definition), and by using a very sharp needle with small barbs on it you poke the wool (repeatedly) in such a way that the fibers bind up on themselves.

My friend creates small animals, whales, and birds. His birds are amazing and look quite life like. My inconsequential little snowman has nothing compared to his works of art, but I think its a grand start.

On arriving back home on Sunday night I immediately googled as many resources as I could, and have since ordered a starter kit. A Christmas present to myself, but quite possibly beneficial to others.

I will not be giving up my addiction to paper, but maybe there is a way I can incorporate felting and paper .......

1 comment:

cardiogirl said...

AUUGGHHHH! I *MUST* know how to make that snowman. I'm off to Google. My kids are going to love this project!