Monday, May 28, 2007

The Weekend That Wasn't

… or at least that’s how it felt.

Saturday morning saw me getting up bright and early. One of the disadvantages of living on an island is that if you wish to travel off of the island, you need to be on “Ferry time”. And in particular when you’re traveling from one island to another (smaller) island – your “Ferry time” choices are a greater challenge.

All that to say that for me to make it to a noon funeral on Pender Island I needed to catch the 9:30am ferry from Victoria. If you know me at all you’d know that I rarely see the light of day by 9am on a Saturday morning, let alone be up and out at the Ferry Terminal by then.

I digress … as mentioned in the previous entry this was the funeral for my best friends mom, and Theresa was also a very good friend to me as well. Wild horses could not have kept me from being at her service, even as the pain of it was almost as strong as the grief I felt for my own mothers passing. Standing at her (Theresa’s) graveside service I had flashbacks to just 8 months ago and my mother’s (and father’s) graveside, to say goodbye.

I will miss Theresa very much, and I doubt that visiting Pender Island will ever feel the same for me, but I do have many fond memories, and will continue to visit my girlfriend and her family there. I am hoping to go over and stay with my friend for a few days in July. She will probably be in a bit of a daze, but we will be able to commiserate together, and relish the bond that is between us.

On to other things - - the weather is getting nicer and nicer and I am more inclined to be getting outside and enjoy it.

I really don’t know how to end this entry; I’m tired, and far to retrospective today. A bonus for this particular Monday is that I have a date with my psychologist today – lucky her.

;-) LJ

No comments: